What role does TV play in my life? Stress release, company, information, entertainment, etc?
I use TV as a mental health entertainment/stress release buffer. I like to have several engrossing, fun stories flitting around in my head to think about. It’s like my own version of chewing gum so I won’t grind my teeth or smoke kind of thing. If I have several good stories tumbling around in my head, I think about them, instead of obsessively worrying or being overly critical of myself. I use book reading and story writing the same way. It makes for a really cheerful life.
What limits do I put on my TV watching?
I try to limit myself to approximately 10 hours a week. Research shows watching more than 10 hours a week of TV adversely affects a child’s academic achievement. I’m not a child anyone—at least chronologically—and I don’t go to school anymore, but it seems reasonable to conclude that watching more than 10 hours of TV a week might affect my growth as a person too.
Since the research shows there’s no difference between kids who watch no TV and kids who watch 10 hours of TV a week, I aim for 10 hours because watching TV is enjoyable and gives me mental food thoughts to chew on.
What kinds of shows do I prefer?
Mostly I like shows that are well written, have intriguing characters, and make me both laugh and think. Here’s my list:
The Leads (Shows I Watch Regularly and Rather Obsessively)
1. Supernatural– (CW) season 4
2. The Big Bang Theory & How I Met Your Mother– (CBS) season 2 & season 4
3. Pushing Daisies– (ABC) season 2
4. Friday Night Lights– (Direct TV) season 3
5. Fringe– (Fox) season 1
6. Mad Men– (AMC) season 2
7. Skins (BBCA) season 1 & 2
8. Daily Show (Monday & Tuesday) (Comedy Central)
9. Daily Show (Wednesday & Thursday) (Comedy Central)
10. Gossip Girl (w/ the daughterling or I probably wouldn’t watch for just myself)
11. The X-Files (season 1 on DVD in French w/ English subtitles to practice my French)
(Without the commercials this list adds up to about 10 hours)
The Understudies (recorded and stored on Tivo for instant fill-in when my leads have a repeat)
1. The Office [only ½ hour] (There are a lot of Daily Show repeats, so I get to watch this pretty often.)
4. Gavin & Stacey [only ½ hour]
5. True Blood
What do I do when I watch TV?
Just watch, though sometimes I eat my lunch while I watch a show, and sometimes I end up writing down favorite quotes from the show. I’m really picky about what shows I watch. Basically a show has to be so engrossing that I want to only watch it. If I find myself wanting to surf the web, clean, or fold laundry while I watch a show, that’s a sign I’m probably going to stop watching soon.
And You? What are your TV watching habits?