Had a good last sub day as the art teacher. Today I tallied up my stats and realized I biked to 60% of my 25 sub jobs (at 6 different schools). There's still a 7th school I need to figure out how to bike to, but that's a good start for my first year of biking.
Ms. Evil Octopus Goes on a Field Trip, K’naan, and Biking to Work
K'naan, Troubadour (****)  – Rapper K'naan was born in Somalia. Right before the war broke out his family immigrated to New York and then Toronto. His album is full of upbeat hopeful rap and hip-hop songs about the immigrant experience, with plenty of realistically sad details and a touch of bravado about what a badass he is for coming from Africa. Favorite Songs: T.I.A. (This is Africa), Fatima, Wavin' Flag, Take A Minute.
Ms. Evil Octopus Goes on a Field Trip – I made an exception to my Friday-only subbing rule to help out a teacher in need and subbed for 3 days for the class that calls me Ms. Evil Octopus. On the second day we went on a field trip with lots of helpful moms (but sadly no dads). The Thanksgiving program at Woodland Manor had fun hands-on activities for the kids to do, the kids were great, and we had sunny warm weather. My favorite part was what happened when I introduced myself to each mom:
Mom: Hi, I'm Sarah's mom.
Me: Wonderful to meet you. I'm Ms. Eureka.
Mom: [Looks strangely disappointed after hearing my name.] Oh. Ms. Eureka?
Me: But the kids like to call me Ms. Evil Octopus. It's just a fun joke we have going on.
Mom: [Perks up.] Yes, Sarah told me this! She said you're really funny.
Heehee. I guess even moms like silly jokes.
What I Learned About Biking to Work – For the past two years I've wanted to bike to my sub jobs. This week I finally got my act together and biked to work for all three days. Yay! Here's what I learned:
1. Biking makes me feel good all day.
2. I need a change of clothes for the top of my body but not the bottom.
3. Fully inflated tires make the ride a lot easier, so does a range of gears.
4. It was good to have the daughterling's bike as a backup bike at home for when I discovered a flat tire right before I needed to leave home.
5. The bike ride home is the best and made me feel less tired after work than if I drove.
6. Being a super slow biker is okay. Just getting out there is what counts.